Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Holiday Heartache – Helping Divorced Kids Get Through

Part of our Countdown to Hanukkah, this article deals with families of divorce and how to navigate the holidays.


Barbara Aiello for The Times of Israel

In  a few days Chanukah begins and then it’s time for Christmas. But for many children whose parents are divorced, the holiday season can be at best difficult and at worst traumatic.

Before I became a rabbi, I served on the board of a counseling service for divorced families. Later, when I became a rabbi, I became a support group leader for families and children who suffer through all the issues surrounding the breakup of a marriage. I’ve seen a lot.  From my own experience as a divorced parent to my work as a counselor, I’ve come to the conclusion that the most difficult divorces involve children and the areas that are most contentious surround child support, custody and visitation.  And each of these is exacerbated when the holidays roll around

Continue reading.

For more great Hanukkah ideas, check out our    page.


For even more great ideas, visit our Hanukkah Holiday Spotlight Kit




No comments:

Post a Comment