Much of the media covered the weekend’s events in Gaza, where Hamas leader Khaled Meshal commemorated his terror organization’s 25th anniversary.
What is Hamas really celebrating? Here are 25 facts to remind you:
2. Hamas refuses to recognize the State of Israel’s right to exist as
an independent, sovereign nation, and is totally opposed to any
agreement or arrangement that would recognize its right to exist. At the
beginning of its charter there is a quotation attributed to Hassan
Al-Bana, the Muslim Brotherhood’s founder, that “Israel will arise and
continue to exist until Islam wipes it out, as it wiped out what went
3. Hamas is committed to jihad. Its charter stresses the importance
of jihad (holy war) as the main means for the Islamic Resistance
Movement (Hamas) to achieve its goals: An uncompromising jihad must be
waged against Israel. Jihad is the personal duty of every Muslim.
4. Hamas is an anti-Semitic organization. According to its charter,
the Jewish people have only negative traits and are presented
as planning to take over the world. The charter uses myths taken from
classical European and Islamic-based anti-Semitism.
5. The Hamas Charter includes anti-Semitic myths taken from The
Protocols of the Elders of Zion (mentioned in Article 32) regarding
Jewish control of the media, the film industry and education (Articles
17 and 22). The myths are constantly repeated to represent the Jews as
responsible for the French and Russian revolutions and for all world and
local wars: “No war takes place anywhere without the Jews’ being behind
it” (Article 22). The charter demonizes the Jews and describes them as
brutally behaving like Nazis toward women and children (Article 29).
6. Hamas is the local Palestinian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, which recently took control of the Egyptian government.
7. Hamas is designated as a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States, Canada, the European Union and Japan.